The Witches Collective - Services - Book of Shadows - The Shop - Links - Terms of Service - Big Bad Studios.com: The Art of WC

Description of Shadow people

Those we barely see

Description of Shadow people

Postby Ses » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Shadow people (also known as shadow ghosts, shadow figures, shadow beings, shadow men, or shadow folk[original research?]) are supernatural shadow-like humanoid figures that, according to believers, are seen mostly in peripheral vision and move quickly. They are sometimes known in modern folklore and paranormal popular culture as dark entities with malevolent intentions.[1]
Scientific explanations

Several scientific principles can be used to explain reports of shadow people, including optical illusions or hallucinations brought on by physiological/psychological circumstances, drug use or side effects of medication, and the interaction of external agents on the human body.
An illusion of a shadow person can be created when the left temporoparietal junction, a specific region of the brain, is stimulated.[2]
Figures seen in peripheral areas of vision can sometimes be explained as pareidolia, a phenomenon in which the brain incorrectly interprets random patterns of light/shadow or texture as familiar patterns such as faces and human forms.[3][improper synthesis?]
Hypnagogia (also known as "waking-sleep"), a physiological condition in which one is partially between sleep and awakeness, could also account for such perceptions.[4][improper synthesis?] During hypnagogia, one can be conscious and aware of their environment, but also in a dream-like state where they can perceive images from their subconscious. People experiencing hypnagogia commonly report seeing or sensing lights or shadows moving around them, as well as other visual hallucinations and even a (subtle or powerful) feeling of dread. Hypnagogia is sometimes known as 'the faces-in-the-dark phenomenon' because these people commonly report seeing faces while experiencing hypnagogia.[5][improper synthesis?]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

At first, they appear only out of the corner of your eye, furtively darting out of view when you turn to look straight at them, but are now gone. Did you really see them?

Shaking the image out of your head, you assume that it was some peculiar anomaly of your eyesight, however the feeling still lingers that someone continues to watch you. For weeks, months or years, the fast dark movements in your peripheral vision are dismissed until it finally happens without warning. You see the shadow directly in front of you: face to face, blacker than black, darker than dark, like a void that has punched a hole into the inky fabric of night itself.

Sometimes it appears as the mere silhouette of a person, usually male, but generally lacking any other characteristics of gender. However, in no way does the description end there. There are “hatted” shadow beings, hooded shadows, cloaked ones, and solid or wispy, smoky types. Some are seen only from the waist up. Others clearly have legs that are seen fleeing from their observers. They dart into corners, through walls, into closets, or behind television sets, bushes, and buildings. Sometimes they simply fade into the dark recesses of the night. Lacking in the description is one common denominator unifying the many different types of shadow people that enter our world…except that they are “intensely dark.” But even then, there are exceptions.

Finally the question is asked, “What is their purpose?” One thing is for certain, the personalities and intentions of shadow people are just as varied as any one of the six billion people populating this planet. While a number of witnesses believe that shadow people act as benevolent guardians watching and guiding us; just as many witnesses have no doubt of the evil soul-wrenching potential of these beings. Originally, I believed the shadow people to be ghosts, but the stories received, read, compiled and uploaded are more convincing that shadows are a type of inter-dimensional beings, from which ‘ghost’ is only one sub-category. One can only hope that serious research into this paranormal (or psychological) genre will paint a clearer understanding of the nature and make-up of these dark mysterious ‘people’. That day has not yet come.

Until then, this site brings together hundreds of witnesses who took the time and energy to detail their experiences in order to help us develop some kind of consensus about of the very strange nature of shadow people. You are encouraged to sift and read through them to come to your own conclusions

http://home.comcast.net/~shadowpeopleor ... eople.html
Currently undertaking the Bardic course by the Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids.

https://www.facebook.com/sesdruidry

http://sesdruidry.wordpress.com/
Ses

Path: Druidism

Re: Description of Shadow people

Postby RoguePhoenix » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

I think links to other sites are supposed to go in other places o.o

In any case the information you put on shadow people is interesting. That was a lot of information you gave though, and thank you. You did a very good job. I would like to say this though, just to add, not take away or to be rude or anything of the sort. There is an ancient belief about ones 'reflection' or their 'shadow self' or their 'shadow'. That it is the dark side of them, the part they hide away in the shadows of their heart from others. No matter the variation of that believe or how our 'shadow' self would look it is still a varying belief on shadows and 'shadow people' even if the two aren't immediately thought of as connected in any way. There is a lot of mythology that speaks of shadows and shadow people, so it is far from just a 'modern phenomenon'. It is something that has been here a long time, a very long time. How long people have written or spoken or experienced them does make a difference. It tells people its not just some recent thing, not some modern day thing, and so its a lot less likely to stop happening.
RoguePhoenix

Postby Symandinome » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 pm

links are fine in posts if you are site sourcing like he was or offering other sites up for added info inregards to the topic being discussed. Posting a site address just for the sake of promoting a site is done in a special section. ;)
Symandinome
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby The_Library » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 am

On the topic of benevolent/malevolent:

I've had one that's been following me for about 3 years. Whenever I see him (he looks like a 6' tall man with a squared jaw and wearing a jacket), his arrival is proceeded by a feeling of being watched. When I do see him, though, it's just a flash, halfway down the aisle of a shopping center (I've only ever seen him when shopping or working at a shopping center, like Walmart or Dick's Sporting goods).
And I don't feel fear, or anger, or any of those things; just a sense of "Dafuq was that?"
*closes the door slowly with a click, a number of voices piping up*

My doors are open, but entry is prohibited.
Do you have the necessary credentials?
The_Library

Path: Wiccan+Christian

Postby BlackTail » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 am

I heard a theory on shadow people recently that is interesting.
We usually see shadow people from our peripheral vision, glimpses, shapes, etc. Interesting to note that our peripheral vision can pick up different spectrum of light than our regular vision. Those spectrums that uv cameras and night vision cameras look for. BUT our peripheral vision is more focused on general shapes and motion. So it explains why we mostly see shadow people from the peripheral vision, where we can see more types of light and easier to see the shapes/movement. And it explains why they look like silhouettes of people (dark masses) vs. in color.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, and Nefertem

Artist - Witch - Shaman
Guide and Friend in the Path of Witchcraft
BlackTail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Path: Kemetic Orthodox

Postby Thistle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I do find this interesting. I've actually been curious if people have seen them in animal form. I should google that. I once saw what I initially thought was my sister's black lab in the corner of my eye, but when I called him he came running from the opposite direction. I thought maybe it could have been the spirit of my dog...but maybe not. I did only see it out of the corner of my eye. All I know it was black and the form of a dog.
Thistle
Active Chatter
Active Chatter

Path: Eclectic Pagan

Postby RoguePhoenix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Actually the only spirit type I ever saw out of the corner of my eyes is a harmless one that looks like an empty black robe moving around XD Then again, I have not seen any shadow people physically, only spiritually so I wouldn't exactly be a good witness~
RoguePhoenix

Postby Thistle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:41 pm

So people do see shadow animals/creatures. Though it doesn't appear to be nearly as common as shadow people. I don't think I've ever seen a shadow person. Just that dog shape.

Here's one page I found on shadow animals. http://shadowanimals.homestead.com/Shad ... -Home.html
Thistle
Active Chatter
Active Chatter

Path: Eclectic Pagan

Postby Hamelden » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Whoa....This really is a pretty common phenomenon. I've been followed by the Hat Man for years as a little kid. Most of the time it was in person when I was awake; I'd see it over by the barn, or in the reflection of the television. Sometimes he'd be gone or flash away really quick, other times he'd do nothing but stand there, staring at me. The most terrifying experiences were always in my room at night; I could sense it standing over me in the darkness of my room, like it was breathing down my neck....scared the crap out of me. My parents never took me seriously. But one day my Mother saw it for herself too. Standing by the barn, staring at her. I get a bad feeling about it. Mom also told me that when I was a baby I was scared to death of any and all shadows on the wall; I'd go into crying fits of hysteria.

If it ever comes back...just in case...how do I kill it?
"An ye harm none, do as ye will."

--The Rede
Hamelden

Path: Wiccan

Postby Serafanyelle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Don't kill it, ask it what it wants bothering you this way all the time.

The only time I kill black entities is if they try and enter my energy field or actually manage to do it while I sleep, then it's gloves off and claws out.

PM me if you feel that you need guidance.
With much love, light and brightest blessings
Anita :bless:
Serafanyelle
Returning Member
Returning Member

Path: Eclectic Witch

Return to Shadow People