The Witches Collective - Services - Book of Shadows - The Shop - Links - Terms of Service - Big Bad Studios.com: The Art of WC

Hecate

Deities, Concepts, Archetypes

Hecate

Postby Moonweb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi guys. I'm looking for some information about Hecate. Do you have any resources I could use?? Thanks <3
moonweb
ImageImage
Experienced: Crystals, Herbal Sachets, Energy worker
Moonweb

Re: Hecate

Postby BlackTail » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Hecate is an ancient goddess, frequently depicted in triple form and variously associated with crossroads, entrance-ways, fire, light, the Moon, magic, witchcraft, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, necromancy, and sorcery.[1][2] She has rulership over earth, sea and sky, as well as a more universal role as Saviour (Soteira), Mother of Angels and the Cosmic World Soul.[3][4]
Hecate may have originated among the Carians of Anatolia, where variants of her name are found as names given to children. William Berg observes, "Since children are not called after spooks, it is safe to assume that Carian theophoric names involving hekat- refer to a major deity free from the dark and unsavoury ties to the underworld and to witchcraft associated with the Hecate of classical Athens."[5] She also closely parallels the Roman goddess Trivia, with whom she was identified in Rome.
Today Hecate is just one of the 'patron' goddesses of many witches, who in some traditions refer to her in the Goddess's aspect of the "Crone". But other traditional witches associate her with the Maiden and/or with the Mother as well, for Hecate has three faces, or phases. Her role as a tripartite goddess, which many modern-day Wiccans associate with the concept of 'the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone',[6] an interpretation clearly from the ancient myths, songs and statuary, was again made popular in modern times by writers such as Robert Graves in The White Goddess, and many others. This association is also noted in the 20th century, with the occult author Aleister Crowley. Historical depictions and descriptions show her facing in three different directions, a clear and precise reference to the tripartite nature of this ancient Goddess. The later Greek Magical Papyri sometimes refer to her as also having the heads of animals, and this can be seen as a reference to her aspect of Motherhood, who is often depicted as a 'Mistress of Animals'.

-Wiki
Daughter of Sekhmet
Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, and Nefertem

Artist - Witch - Shaman
Guide and Friend in the Path of Witchcraft
BlackTail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Path: Kemetic Orthodox

Postby Lilura » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:04 am

There is a ton of information on http://hecatescauldron.org

Also I recently started looking into Egyptian God Heka and from what I understand so far He is the earlier divine manifestation of Egyptian Goddess Heka aka Hekate..... I need to do more research but here are a couple of images that I've found so far:

heka_Heiroglyph.jpg

heka0.gif

heka-mistress-of-hesar.gif

:bless: :bless: :bless:
Lilura

Postby BlackTail » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 am

Heka is synonymous with the term magick. So in paths like Kemetic Orothodox, when you do heka, you do magick.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, and Nefertem

Artist - Witch - Shaman
Guide and Friend in the Path of Witchcraft
BlackTail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Path: Kemetic Orthodox

Postby Lilura » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 am

Ah! So that explains the hieroglyph! Thanks BlackTail! :D
:bless: :bless: :bless: