The Witches Collective - Services - Book of Shadows - The Shop - Links - Terms of Service - Big Bad Studios.com: The Art of WC

Why a matron and patron?

Deities, Concepts, Archetypes

Why a matron and patron?

Postby Priestess Vala » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 pm

I am familiar with the concept of a matron and patron deity, yet I don't understand the origin or reason behind it. To my mind, it is natural that a spiritual person would connect more with certain deities than others (and that these connections would be reciprocal) but I don't understand why only 2, and why one male one female specifically?

If one male and one female is derived from the Wiccan God-Goddess duality, do pagans of other paths still adhere to male-female patrons? And if so, why?

Just musing. Me myself, I feel a connection with many different deities, without gender balance, and my relationship with each one is unique... just as are my connections with people.
Priestess Vala

Re: Why a matron and patron?

Postby BlackTail » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 pm

I align myself two Anubis and Sekhmet. The matron-patron trend seems to stem from the Wiccan god and goddess. Although I identify myself with Sekhmet and Anubis, I do interact with many deities. I think it helps ppl dial in to their path.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, and Nefertem

Artist - Witch - Shaman
Guide and Friend in the Path of Witchcraft
BlackTail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Path: Kemetic Orthodox

Postby RoguePhoenix » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 am

I think it depends on the person and their path if they even believe in gods or goddesses, let alone if they do or do not follow any. I myself do not have a matron or patron and I'm not looking for any. I doubt I am the only one that is following such a path and is still a spiritual person.
RoguePhoenix

Postby Symandinome » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

The concept of matron and patron deities stems from pre christian religious cults in Europe such as the Vestal Virgins who honored Vesta etc etc etc. Mind you at these place for the most part ONE deity only was worshiped. Sometimes it was female sometimes male. Wicca has borrowed and embelished on many concepts from various cultures in its development. Even Christianity. One such argument could relate the matron patron thing to the Catholic relation to patron saints which in turn could be related to adapting from paganism itself back to the different religious god/ess cults throughout Europe.

I do not have a patron deity at all however my matron is Morrigu. I will honor all gods but will call only Morrigu my mother.
Symandinome
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Faces of the Divine