The Witches Collective - Services - Book of Shadows - The Shop - Links - Terms of Service - Big Bad The Art of WC

Offerings or Sacrifices

Wonderful spells, rituals, and more!

Offerings or Sacrifices

Postby sonko » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:52 am

Every witch has his/ her own style, you basically choose the style what work for you. In many of my spells I prefer sacrifices and I find it working, it may not matter what kind of sacrifice I have made but because I work with spirits, I found out that they really like it when I sacrifice something for them.

I think it may help to develop your experiences and why we choose to do what we do to give the spells the needed power.

Re: Offerings or Sacrifices

Postby loona wynd » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Most of my spell and magical work is without the use of spirits. I work with my own energy and focus so I don't need to give a sacrifice or an offering of some sort to the spirits for the spell to work. I do however give offerings to spirit guides and deities at their shrines when I pray and when I am working a ritual with them. I have found that I like to follow the practices of the cultures involved for deity offerings. Spirit offerings are a bit different. Most of the time I give alchohol and fresh water. I also burn incense and candles for them.

I do think that the offerings should be appropriate to the spirits that are involved in the work,
loona wynd
Path: Eclectic witch

Postby Damiana Ravenbrook » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Last edited by Damiana Ravenbrook on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damiana Ravenbrook
Path: Eclectic Witch

Postby Burning Falcon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Offerings are a fairly basic, essential part of my practise. Most every ritual, spell, meditation, or prayer session I do involves making symbolic offerings. It varies for each particular one, but most involve making offerings to Wakan Tanka (my concept of God, the universal consciousness), the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, sometimes specific manifestations of Wakan Tanka (Deities. It is my belief deities or, indeed, any supernatural entities, are not separate, but part of a complete whole. In other words, manifestations of Wakan Tanka. Some deities I hold particularly highly and may make offerings to regardless of the ritual, such as Kṛṣṇa (Krishna) or Alisanos), and, if I am working with spirits or deities or other entities, specifically to those involved. I make offerings not as some sort of payment to the entities involved, but out of love, respect, and devotion. As far as what I offer, it is generally just offerings of incense and/or sound (sound offerings are common in Buddhist and Hindu settings) or symbolic, imagined offerings. If I offer food, it is always vegetarian, and has specific protocol related to it. I also often make food offerings and other offerings to Pretas, or Hungry Ghosts. It is a level samsara, a level of rebirth. They have an extreme hunger and thirst, and wish only to fulfil it. If they even manage to swallow food, it turns to ashes and gives them more pain. If they manage to swallow even a drop, it turns to acid in their throat. Even so, no matter how much they eat, their hunger becomes greater still. It is believed their suffering can be relieved only through the compassion of others. So, many Buddhists make offerings to pretas out of compassion and a need to help the helpless. The same applies to Hell-beings (the English term for the lowest level of samsara, beings whose entire existence is pure, undiluted suffering, the comparison being made to a Christian hell), animals, and other humans. (Maharaji, a Hindu guru who I revere highly, when asked how best to serve God, said this: "Feed people." Simple but profound.) To change gears a little, I think making sacrifices is, with absolutely no offense to those that disagree, immoral, disgusting, and very spiritually unclean. I'll leave it at that, as I do not wish to offend anyone of differing opinion, but I think you can catch my drift.
-Garrett van de Polder, Burning Falcon

Priest of the Arkenvale Order - Mason of Alisanos - Follower of the Buddha - Child of Wakan Tanka

Musician - Druid - Herbalist - Linguist

The candles are lit and the incense is burning,
The prayers have been said, the wheel's been set turning,
So come in and eat, for your stomach is churning,
And know this-
You are welcome here.
Burning Falcon
Path: Sioux Buddhist

Postby RoguePhoenix » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 am

What I do when it comes to offerings depends on what I am doing. When it comes to energy work, the greatest sacrifices one can make would be their own blood and energy. This empowers it and strengthens the work. Too much of your own blood will taint it. A drop or so is more then enough to work with. Taking life for the sake of energy work to me is selfish, so would taint my work. As a priest I must keep my energy as pure as I can, so I do not take life of plant or animal for that. When offering to a spirit though, I will sacrifice life for it. This is in the form of sharing a meal with the spirit as a form of bonding as well as gift. If I do that however, it must be for an important reason. If it is not as important, I make offerings through gifts of art or writing. I have gotten very positive responses from it.

Postby BlackTail » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

I work with spirits and deities often in my workings. In Kemeticism it is very common to offer to deities. Never anything that is bloody as it is considered impure and not suitable for the gods. However cooked items are fine. I don't drink either, so if i have any alcohol about it will find its way to the altar.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, and Nefertem

Artist - Witch - Shaman
Guide and Friend in the Path of Witchcraft
Site Admin
Site Admin
Path: Kemetic Orthodox

Postby Ses » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm

When ever I have worked with magic on a personal level sacrafice something of myself, recently been contemplating using this on other people with regards to healing, in a more group setting we tend to lay offers depending on the festival, whether it be plants, food or drink.
Currently undertaking the Bardic course by the Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids.
Path: Druidism

Postby sonko » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Offering and sacrifices are very essential in magic, they symbolizes devotion to whatever deity you are attached to, even one personal level, they help you to take much time in your magic work and insert more extra energy. I truly believe that there is nothing wrong with going such things and I agree with anyone here. I see magic a road leading into junction and its up to you to choose which way to take. I have seen different religions making offerings and sacrifices for different courses which confirms to me that sacrifices and offerings helps you to open the gets that connects your inner being to the energy surrounded by you.

Return to Spells and Rituals